31.) Morrissey - You Are the Quarry (2004)


Ol' Mozzer sure has had one helluva decade. Among the typical hero worship he always (and happily) endures, he's managed to launch quite a comeback with regard to his recorded output. Since 2004 Moz has released three great records, a live record, a dvd and countless b-sides which have landed on their very own compilation, not to mention a few great tours and an on-stage collapse. He's had a truly prosperous aughts and the best part about the whole thing is that he has not devolved into parody.

Morrissey's 2000's studio output of You Are the Quarry, Ringleader of the Tormentors and Years of Refusal is the best 1,2,3 punch of his career. I'm not saying they're his best records ever but as far as in a row, they can't be beat (NOTE: This is Morrissey solo I'm talking about). Blame Kill Uncle for getting in between Viva Hate and Your Arsenal/Vauxhall. As it stands You Are the Quarry is the best of the lot. It had been seven years between Maladjusted and You Are the Quarry, so I had no idea what to expect. Now, as someone who worships at the altar of all things Moz, I was excited but also prepared for disappointment.

I wasn't disappointed. No one was. In fact, it was something different altogether. This wasn't a changed Moz, we wouldn't be able to stand it if it was, but it sure as shit seemed like a revitalized one. Quarry turned out to be part one of a trilogy of great records that found Morrissey settling into his role as an elder statesmen of indie rock - but he wouldn't settle in quietly. He's an angry young man on "America is not the World" a sniveling little brat on "The World is Full of Crashing Bores" and his normal petulant self on "How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel?".

I understand people hating Morrissey, but I prefer to think those people just don't get him. Most critics hate that he's so "depressed" all the time, but truth is he's not. He's actually really funny and all the depression stuff, at least now, is mostly done with a wink. I sort of buy in whole. I find him endlessly amusing and tend to see the fact that this is the kind of record he's making 25 years later is pretty amazing. And I always feel justified in my unending devotion to Moz when I hear songs like "Irish Blood, English Heart" and "First of the Gang to Die" because they're absolutely perfect songs. And that's something.

Plus, the album covers. Come on, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment